Thursday, February 2, 2017

Collaboration

Educator Reflects on The Journey:




Ami Rapp

Meadow Wood Elementary School
3rd Grade Math/Science Teacher, SBISD Vanguard Cohort 2

How would you define your role as an educator? 
Each student has a personal learning journey.  It is my job to be the guide. If they get stuck on the path, we build a bridge.  If they are traveling at a steady pace, I provide a map.  If they are flying above the rest, I provide a safe place to build a sturdy set of wings. We are all on a journey – but it doesn’t have to be the same one.  This approach allows me to meet every student at their level and allows each student the opportunity to grow. 

Collaboration. Why is important for the work of The Learner’s Journey? And achieving Spring Branch T-2-4?
As an island, I can create experiences for my students that might be great. With collaboration, I get feedback that helps extend my ideas.  I can share so that other can benefit from the work that I am doing. My grandmother always told me that “many hands make light work.”  We have so many amazing teachers in SBISD. It only makes sense to work together for the greater benefit of the students that we serve.

What are some examples of COLLABORATION that you’ve seen this year? 
I have started using itsLearning as a platform for students to access new learning. Through technology, I have linked up with a few teachers across the district who are also exploring this new resource. Additionally, several people from the educational technology department have been amazing in helping me work through the speed bumps.

What is the role of COLLABORATION in personalizing student learning?
My classroom is a learning community.  We all learn from each other. Solving problems is not done in isolation. We work together.  Students are empowered with many strategies (some learned from me and some learned from peers). They use those strategies to tackle the new problem.  They build on what they know and expand their thinking to include new learning. With itsLearning, we can use discussion boards to see how others approach a task and even watch the progression of thoughts as they evolve into a new way of thinking.

How are you encouraging your students (or other educators) to redefine expectations about what school "should be"? 
I try to be an example for others.  Learning should be fun.  Learning should be personal. Learning should push you to find your goals. Learning should make you think, act and do more than you ever thought possible.  I want people to see that I am willing to take the risk and that it is working.

I welcome people to see what it looks like to be different. I think my action has pushed others to change.  I am lucky to be on a campus with unbelievably talented teachers. We can learn from each other.  My changes spark ideas for others, and, in turn, I am inspired by the greatness that surrounds me.

Why is it important that our collective path on The Learner’s Journey be led by teachers?
We need buy-in.  If we proceed with a top-down mandate, teachers will see this as just another change we HAVE to make, instead of the exciting opportunity to re-think the way we look at education. It is crucial that we are all life-long learners.  We have to change to stay relevant.  I am not the same teacher I was when I started 19 years ago, and I am not the same teacher that I will be next year or even next week. The bottom line is that we all need to make an effort if we want to make a difference.

How is your campus leader supporting your work? 
I love that I have the support to make things work for my students.  I love that setbacks are okay as long as the result is successful.  I love that my classroom can be loud or messy.  It can look different.  It can sound different.  But learning is happening.  Kids are happy and engaged.

My administration sees the students’ effort.  They see mine, and they let me know that the changes are exciting.  I know I am doing well when it ends up on the campus Twitter feed!


0 comments:

Post a Comment