Monday, March 20, 2017

Engagement


Myrna Deleon

The Panda Path School
SBISD School for Early Learning

You're part of a new initiative in SBISD serving 3-year-olds. Why is early programming like this 'a win' for students and the learner's journey?
By having a half-day early childhood program, students are exposed to the expectations and structure that is anticipated from them in the classroom and school setting. Therefore, by the time that they go to Pre-K4, the students will already be familiar with the routines in the classroom, which means that there will be less time spent in classroom management and procedures for the Pre-K4 teachers. 

What inspired you to work in early childhood education? 
I’m a strong advocate for early childhood education; I believe that early childhood education is vital for academic success. I wanted to be part of a school district where my values aligned with district values, and SBISD is just the district.

What is quality education and why is it important?
Quality education is provided through an educational environment where every learning style is fulfilled by the teacher. Quality education is important because it provides the children an opportunity to achieve a life-long passion for learning. 

How do you impact the goal of Spring Branch T-2-4?
In my classroom I provide a supportive and nurturing learning environment, which creates life-long learners, I hope that by doing so my students will want to pursue a higher education.

What is your biggest opportunity?
My biggest opportunity is being in a setting where I have an abundance of support. I am blessed to work alongside an incredible teacher who helps my students and myself consistently. I also have immense support from Ms. Hannes who has taught me so much in such a short amount of time.  

What are some new ‘innovations’ or ‘brave’ ideas that you’re working on this year? Thinking differently. I am a huge fan of technology in the classroom; therefore I wanted to do something different in the way my students learned to recognize their names. I integrated my students love for technology into something that will help them learn the letters in their name.

Where do you invest your time as an educator and why?
I integrate as much technology into every lesson as I can. Today’s students love technology so they are sure to be interested in learning if they can use the tools they love. My students love using the ActiveBoard to learn about a variety of materials. Also, integrating technology allows my 3-year-olds to stay engaged and focused.

What is your biggest challenge?
One of the biggest challenges I have faced in our new Pre-K3 program is teaching the kids how to share and work with others. Most of my students are the youngest or are an only child, so they are not used to sharing their belongings. I am so thankful that I have so much support from my principal and my teacher aid, which students are making major progress.


0 comments:

Post a Comment